Apple Event: Time to Get on the Holiday Wishlist
My take on the apple event is that they were mostly getting ready to get on your 2010 holiday gift list.
The stuff announced was cute, small, affordable, and easy to wrap. They also announced ping, a way to get social on iTunes (e.g., chat about your favorite holiday music) which I think could also be useful in driving holiday sales. The only thing missing from the event was the holiday decorations!
Here is a great video round up of the announcement from PC Magazine, including a bit of the much debated Chris Martin performance:
Here is what new:
- iPod Shuffle:$49. Sleeker design and it’s wearable now. Looks like a spy gadget.
- iPod Nano : $149. New touch screen and tiny design. I would lose this in a day but it’s very cute.
- Apple TV: $99. Rent 99 cent TV shows and $3.99 HD movies. Netflixs & Youtube. Use your iPhone or iPad as a remote. Who needs cable?
- iPod Touch – $229 – Adds FaceTime Video Chat, HD Video Recording, and Enhanced Gaming with a game center that lets you play against friends. Hope my tween doesn’t see the commercial for this one!
- Ping – Free. A social network for music. Ability to follow and interact with Artists. It could be a cool way to talk about and find new music.
I think it’s a good move to announce accessible gadgets just in time to get on the wish lists for this year. The Apple packaging is the Tiffany blue box of geek circles.
Tempted to buy the Apple TV? Any of the new stuff on your Holiday list?
Popularity: 4% [?]